Berlin copybook
"There is a terrible emptiness in me, an indifference that hurts..." a
a. Jacques / I tried to find out for myself, from that start, when I was a child, what was right and what was wrong --- because no one around me could tell me. And now that everything is leaving me I realize I need someone to show me the way and to blame me and praise me, by right not of power but of authority, I need my father.
I thought I knew it, and that I had myself in hand, I dont [know?] any longer.
---The First Man / Albert Camus
a - marginal inserts in the original manuscript
___
...Finally, it is obvious that my father would never have published this manuscript as it is, first for the simple reason that he had not completed it, but also because he was a very reserved man and would no doubt have masked his own feelings far more in its final version. But it seems to me -- and I say this with hesitation, for I can claim no objectivity --- it seems to me that no one can most clearly hear my father's voice in this text because of its very rawness. That is why I hope readers will come to it a spirit of brotherhood.
-- Editor's Notes by Catherine Camus March 1995
a. Jacques / I tried to find out for myself, from that start, when I was a child, what was right and what was wrong --- because no one around me could tell me. And now that everything is leaving me I realize I need someone to show me the way and to blame me and praise me, by right not of power but of authority, I need my father.
I thought I knew it, and that I had myself in hand, I dont [know?] any longer.
---The First Man / Albert Camus
a - marginal inserts in the original manuscript
___
...Finally, it is obvious that my father would never have published this manuscript as it is, first for the simple reason that he had not completed it, but also because he was a very reserved man and would no doubt have masked his own feelings far more in its final version. But it seems to me -- and I say this with hesitation, for I can claim no objectivity --- it seems to me that no one can most clearly hear my father's voice in this text because of its very rawness. That is why I hope readers will come to it a spirit of brotherhood.
-- Editor's Notes by Catherine Camus March 1995
No comments:
Post a Comment